When Dr. Shannon Butler agreed to go skydiving if her students raised more than $15,000 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, she may have thought the day would never come.
Then, the principal at York High School in Yorktown watched her students raise over $20,000 for the cause!
That meant a trip to Skydive Suffolk to hold up Dr. Butler’s end of the bargain. And when the principal arrived at our drop zone on Saturday, April 14, the local media was right there to capture the memory.
Although nervous at first, Dr. Butler took to the skies with our expert tandem master, Robbie Hill, and videographer, Edward Heady.
Check out that smiling face!
When Dr. Butler landed, she was mobbed by friends, family, students and parents who came to support their principal and raise awareness for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Many thanks to all the media who shared Dr. Butler’s skydive online, on TV and in print. Check out the media coverage below!
- The Daily Press: Photo slideshow from the Shannon Butler skydive
- The Daily Press: York student fundraising for cancer research leads principal to skydive
- Williamsburg Yorktown Daily: Watch: York High’s skydiving principal keeps her word
- Coastal Virginia Magazine: York County Principal Skydives for Cancer Research Fundraiser
- WTKR NewsChannel 3: York Co. principal follows through with promise to skydive after students reach fundraising goal
- WVEC Channel 13: York High School teacher skydives to raise funds for cancer research
- WAVY TV 10: Video not available online